Monday, August 8, 2016

Dark Matter - by Blake Crouch - Brilliant mix of sci-fi, horror, thriller, and romance

5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Admittedly, I missed The Pines trilogy when it came out, but I did  watch and enjoy the first season of Wayward Pines and made a note of Blake Crouch's name at the time, so when I saw he had a new book coming out this Summer it immediately went on my "must read" list.

I was immediately taken in by the author's writing style.  Clear, concise, narrative.  Fully realized characters.  And a thrilling story to boot.

Jassen Deesen is married and still very much in love with his wife Daniella.  His son Charlie is fifteen and a good kid.  When Jason leaves the house to celebrate his college roommate's recent success in the world of Physics, this is how Blake Crouch describes the scene.

I don't look back.  I don't say goodbye.  And this moment slips past unnoticed.  The end of everything I know, everything I love.

And I'm hooked.  What follows is an amazing jouney that is wildly imaginative yet totally believable. The actual quantum physics involved are a bit over my head, but simplified to the point where even I could follow along.

There are several unexpected twists along the way and underneath all the science and mystery is a love story for the ages.

If the mutiverse exists because every choice we make creates another fork in the road, which leads into a new parallel world, just think of the possibilities.

Despite its 354 pages, Dark Matter was a quick read for me as the pages just flew by.

I couldn't give this book a higher recommendation.  Sure to make my top 10 list for 2016.

Dark Matter from Crown Publishing is available in hardback, paperback, e-book and audible formats.

Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. He has written more than a dozen novels that have been translated into over thirty languages and his short fiction has appeared in numerous publications including Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine. Crouch lives in Colorado with his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment