Monday, January 16, 2017

Nighthawks - by Jeremy Flagg - Book 1 in the Children of Nostradamus series

4 of 5 stars     Review copy

Nighthawks: Children of Nostradamus Book 1 is a complex and fascinating read.

Eleanor Valentine is a psychic to the first woman president, Cecelia Joyce, but when she attempts to assassinate her boss it leads to her death and to "The Culling" of all mentalists.

The mentalists are not the only ones with powers beyond those of mortal men. There are The Children of Nostradamus.  Where the Children of Nostradamus have hundreds of recorded abilities, there are certain things we all have in common.  We have a natural immunity to all illnesses.  We have higher endurance, we heal quicker...

In addition to the Children of Nostradamus, some of the other players in the story include the Outlanders and the Paladins.  And for me this is where it got to be a bit much.  I get the feeling we'll learn more about the other groups in future books and yes there will definitely be more in the series.

In the meantime, book one is a superhero story with a bit of humor and better than you might expect. In many ways it has the feel of a graphic novel without the artwork and the way they got the name Nighthawks was inspired.

Although I wasn't blown away by book one I certainly will return to the world of the Nighthawks and can recommend you check this one out, as well.

From Limitless Publishing, Nighthawks is available in both paperback and e-book formats.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read it at no additional charge.  Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE using the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

From the authors bio - It started with single comic book. My mother was determined to make a reader out of me. Shunning traditional literature at a young age, my mother placed X-Men Classic #69 in my lap and for the first time I was exposed to the phrases, "Mutants," "BAMF," and "SNIKT." From that moment on, I imagined my enrollment at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

I came to writing late in my professional career. For a short period I majored in Creative Writing but eventually turned to Graphic Design for my career. It wasn't until 2006 that I participated in my first NaNoWriMo writing an epic science fiction novel. Later I would use the opportunity to write Suburban Zombie High and my first draft of Children of Nostradamus. Now I am the NaNoWriMo Municipal Liaison to the Massachusetts Metrowest Region. I also belong the New England Horror Writer's Association where I'm known as the sarcastic zombie author.

No comments:

Post a Comment