Thursday, March 1, 2018

Review: It Sustains - by Mark Morris

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Pete Kahle at Bloodshot Books is a personal hero of mine.  He has an eye for finding books which have only appeared as limited edition releases in the small press and getting the authors to bring their work to a wider audience.

This time around Pete was able to get Mark Morris to allow his company to publish It Sustains which was originally released by Earthling Publications five years ago.  Don't get me wrong, I love limited editions, I'm a collector myself, but once the books are sold out it's important to get these works to the masses.

In many ways It Sustains is a story about loss.  In Adam's case, it's about the loss of his mother.

Less than to hours into the New Year, not long after she had kissed me goodnight and told me that this would be our best year ever, Mum was dead.

The writing is strong and powerful.  Genuine encounters with real people.  Characters with a lot of texture.  Morris is able to convey what a particular character is feeling with a few carefully chosen words.

I really enjoyed this read, but when I was finished, I had no idea what just happened.  But, that's OK.  It Sustains was not so much about what happens in the end as it was about the journey.  Overall, it was a very satisfying read and one I would certainly recommend.

It Sustains has been re-released in both paperback and Kindle formats by Bloodshot Books.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read it at no additional charge.  Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE using the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

From the author's bio - Mark Morris has written over twenty-five novels, among which are Toady, Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor Who series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment